Frequently Asked Questions

There are seven school board members, each representing a district that covers a particular area. Steve Zimmer represents District Four, for example. District 4 covers an area that stretches from the San Fernando Valley to East Hollywood and the coast and from Woodland Hills to Westchester. Click here to view Board District 4 map

The Board of Education sets policy for the District and is responsible for managing the budget.


LAUSD is divided into seven districts numbered one through seven. There are eight local districts within the seven districts. Local districts carry out such essential functions as transportation and food service for the schools.

District 4, Steve Zimmer’s district, has three local districts:

Local District 1,

Local District 3

and Local District 4 .

Each local district is managed by a local district Superintendent whose staff works with the principals in running day-to-day operations at the schools. The local district superintendent is answerable to the Board through the Superintendent of Schools.
The local superintendent also resolves the complaints and concerns that parents, teachers and students have that don’t get satisfactorily addressed at the school level. If you have an ongoing issue that you haven’t been able to resolve by working with a teacher or principal, a call to your local district is your next step.


Parents apply to the magnet school of their choice. Every November the school district mails out a Choice brochure--one goes to every home in the district. The brochure contains a catalog of LAUSD magnet schools and an application. In 2010 the District mailed them on November 5th and made them available at LAUSD schools. Parents will receive notification in April as to whether their children have been accepted for the following year.


The number of students accepted to magnet schools during a given cycle depends on how many empty seats are available combined with a point system—a student’s admission depends on accumulating points. The number of points necessary for admission varies from year-to-year depending on the number of available seats.


Your child' can garner points if your home school is predominantly Latino, African-American or Asian or if it the school is overcrowded. Each time a child unsuccessfully applies to a magnet school, she/he earns points towards the next application. Points are also awarded if a sibling already attends the school where your student is applying.
The point system and other aspects of applying for a magnet school are outlined here:


Since a child is only accepted to a magnet school if there are seats open, when and if a seat opens up at a given school, school officials begin calling from a waiting list to identify students to fill them. If none of those students are available, schools with unexpected openings will accept qualified walk-ins. Call the magnet school to see if vacancies have gone unfilled.


An interdistrict permit allows a student of the Los Angeles Unified School District to attend a school in another school district. Approximately 12,000 of LAUSD's more than 600,000 students attend school in other districts.


Your child may be eligible for a permit to attend school in another district if a parent is employed within the boundaries of that district or if your student is already enrolled at a non-LAUSD high school or in a specialized comprehensive program unavailable in the LAUSD. (A specialized comprehensive program is defined as one that incorporates a given topic into the core curriculum.)

Parents must apply for permits on-line (paper applications are not accepted) to the Office of Permits and Student Transfers (OPST) at The OPST evaluates the request. All parents have the opportunity to apply for an inter-district permit. There is an appeals process available for those whose applications are denied.

The inter-district permit appeal packet is available online at

Since September 24, 2010 the district will only consider applications related to parent employment within the boundaries of another school district. Applications are not presently available for the 2011-12 school year.


An intra-district permit allows a student to attend an LAUSD school other than the one closest to home. Applications are available at the school to which you want to apply. Your home school and the school to which you are applying must approve the application. There is an appeal process available to parents who are denied permits.
For details on the appeals process and for necessary forms, go to:


First--don’t panic!

Assess the problem. Talk to your child about what classes he or she is missing. A student needs 230 credits to graduate, 160 credits to qualify as a senior.

Make an appointment with your student’s teacher and guidance counselor in order to review all your options. Take careful notes at the meeting so you can draw up a step-by-step plan of action to follow. One path you can explore is an options school. LAUSD’s Educational Options Program is the largest and most successful anti-dropout program in the United States.,255531&_dad=ptl&_schema...

Most high schools have an options school nearby and your student can transfer there. Enrollment is open all year round. If a student is sixteen years old, he or she can transfer. The curriculum there is rigorous but sometimes the smaller class sizes help a student achieve better results. If your student will soon turn 18, ask your counselor about the possibility of completing the classes in an adult school or community college.

You can learn more about continuation schools near you by talking with your school counselor or by contacting your local district.,122477&_dad=ptl&_schema...

If you are concerned about middle school graduation, talk to your counselor (or assistant principal) about community day schools. The principals, teachers and counselors at your school are most likely to be familiar with options in your neighborhood. The local districts can help as well.

If you get stuck long the way, call 213 241-6895 to ask specific questions.


The District has a strict anti-bullying policy.

Your child has rights. First, make sure you have a clear picture of what happened to your child with as many details as possible. What happened? Where? What day? Were there any adults around? Did other students see the bullying?

You want to have all this prepared when you go speak with your child’s teacher. Calmly describe the incident(s) to the teacher. Take a notebook and write down what the teacher says so you can follow up. Emphasize your willingness to work with school staff to solve the problem. Don’t contact the parents of the child who bullied yours; school staff should do that. If the problem persists, talk to the principal. Bring your notes and write down what steps the principal says he or she will take to resolve the issue. The situation will likely be resolved there. If not, call your local district and ask for the director who works with your school.
For more information on bullying and your child click here: